Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Art of Cross Stitch

One of my hobbies is cross stitching. For those of you who don’t know what cross stitch is, it is a form of embroidery that uses “X” shaped stitches to create pictures. Sound simple? For the most part it is easy, but as any experienced stitcher can tell you, count wrong and an entire project can be ruined!Cross stitching has been around for centuries. It was used in the Middle Ages to decorate clothing. Samplers also appeared during this time. Designs were stitched without the benefit of a pattern and were often placed on cloth at random. In 1500, the first printed patterns appeared, but they were very simple designs of flowers and animals.

Red dye became widely available during the 1600’s. This started the “Red Revolution” in which all cross stitch became red designs stitched on white cloth. Samplers became a way for women to practice writing by stitching alphabets.

Since the 1700’s, patterns similar to what we know today have been produced. Landscape patterns appeared, as well as many other realistic designs. Cross stitching was taught in schools until the late 1800’s. Women from all walks of life practiced the art.

Today, if you can imagine it, it can be stitched. Photographs can be used to create stitching patterns. Computer programs can be purchased to create custom designed patterns. And enter any craft store and you’ll find hundreds of patterns and kits with designs ranging from angels to zebras, and everything in between.
I’ve cross stitched most of my life, an art taught to me by my grandmother. I’ve stitched designs large and small, and often create gifts for the people in my life using cross stitch.




I carry cross stitch patterns and kits in my store, Prairie Post Emporium. I also occasionally add my own cross stitch work for purchase. Stop by often to check out the selection, as it’s always changing!

Find books, toys, clothing, jewelry, beads, pottery and collectibles at the Circle of Stores.

No comments: